Muslim Mental Health Conference – 2022
Assalamalaikum , On behalf of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto and the Muslim Medical Association of Canada (MMAC), we would like to invite you to the 6th Annual Canadian Muslim Mental Health Conference (CMMHC) 2022 held virtually on Sunday December 10th 2022. Past speakers have included leaders in the field of Muslim Mental Health including Dr. Rania Awaad, Dr.Asim Yusuf, Dr.Yusra Ahmad, Dr. Marwa Azab, and Dr. Hooman Keshavarzi. CMMHC 2022 program details will be released shortly on the website.
The conference has 5 principal objectives:
1) Bring together and strengthen connections between health care providers, organizations, individuals with lived experience, students, spiritual leaders and researchers working with Muslim mental health issues in Canada.
2) Provide evidence based psychoeducation to the general public on mental health topics in the context of spirituality and Islam.
3) Decrease the stigma of mental illness within the Muslim community.
4) Increase access to evidence based culturally and spiritually appropriate mental health resources to the Muslim community.
5) Increase the capacity for healthcare providers, religious scholars, teachers, organizations and community members working to provide care to Muslims with mental health challenges.
The Canadian Muslim Mental Health Conference focuses on mental health topics in the context of spirituality and is open to Canadians of all faiths and backgrounds. Speakers and panelists will include psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, therapists and spiritual leaders. The conference is normally scheduled from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm with the keynote speaker in the morning and workshops in the evening. We have several national and international experts joining us. We have a great turnout annually with over 200 attendees ranging from physicians and allied healthcare professionals to religious scholars. The breadth and depth of our speaking panel attracted a diversity of attendees from several cities across Canada and beyond.
We would be honored by your attendance at the CMMHC 2022 and look forward to hosting you virtually as our guest.